When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam.
Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1 . A definition of formal poetry is verse that
A. has no rhyme scheme.
B. is written in blank verse.
C. icks to certain traditional patterns.
D. uses figurative language.
2. The line “l wandered lonely as a cloud” is an example of
A. a simile.
B. a metaphor.
D. a couplet.
3. The rhyme scheme of Shakespeare’ s sonnets is
A. AABB CCDD EEFF GG.
B. ABCD ABCD ABCD GG.
C. ABAB CDCD EFEF GG.
D. ABBA CDDC EFFE GG.
4. The repeated use of the “o” sound in “A host, of golden daffodils” is called
5. Which one of the poems you’ve read has the rhyme scheme AA BB CC … ?
A. “Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds”
C. The Long Voyage”
D. “l Wandered Lonely as a Cloud”
6. The final two lines of Shakespeare’s “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day? ” promises the subject of his sonnet
A. unaylng aevotlon.
B. unfading youth.
D. an endless summer.
7. The phrase “mid-May” is an example of
8. Which line best illustrates alliteration?
A. And sings a solitary song
B. Thus Henry wrested gain from despair
C. Precision slices narrow corridors of contentment
D. Cluck and pluck gave Hattie luck
9. Which one of the following lines best illustrates personification?
A. She floated raceful as a dove.
B. Spring is a dream unsung.
C. The fog comes on little cat feet.
D. A narrow wind complains all day.
10. “Foam brightens like the dogwood now” is an example of
A. a metaphor.
B. a simile.
11 . Which one of the following sentences is an example of a metaphor?
A. I am a rock.
B. The breeze blew the branches back and forth.
C. She eats like a bird.
D. I’m as hungry as a wolf.
12. Scan this line from Cowley’s poem: “its hills bent low within my reach. ” How many feet does this line contain?
13. In “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day? Shakespeare claims that the object f his sonnet will De Immortal Decause
A. she’ll live on in his poem.
B. she’s like the summer’s day.
C. she’s for all seasons.
D. he’ll always love her.
14. The line “A tree whose hungry mouth is prest” is an example of iambic
15. The way Cowley uses the phrase “my own country” is an example of
16. Which one of the following words is an iamb?
17. When a poet wishes to use figurative language, he or she will use words that are
A. only connotative.
C. both connotative and denotative.
D. only denotative.
18. Among early epic poems, friend in the land of the dead.
B. The Iliad
C. The Odyssey
D. Beowulf is the story of a man who searches out a beloved
19. Who are the “fools” mentioned in the poem “Trees”?
20. Notable poets have attempted to define poetry. Among these efforts, the idea that poetry is an ancient technology came from
A. Robert Frost.
B Billy Collins.
C. Robert Pinsky.
D. Maya Angelou. End of exam